Animal Technician II
Torrance, US-CA 90502
FT 100 % for 40-hours per week (regular full-time benefits)
# of Openings:
Biological Resources Center-9983
Minimum education requirements:
GED or high school diploma, Bachelors degree
3/15/19 1:09 PM
- Provide daily animal care (cleaning, feeding, and watering of animals), animal facility cleaning and sanitation, documentation of appropriate environmental conditions, and daily animal health and welfare observations to ensure that all of the animals within the department of Animal Resources care procedures are performed according to regulations and guidelines.
- Review, comprehend and comply with all SOPs and quality assurance standards pertaining to laboratory animals for research.
- Monitor daily animal health and welfare while performing daily animal health observations.
- Perform animal husbandry duties to maintain quality and health of research animals, to include: perform daily water bottle /automatic water line and cage checks; provide appropriate food and water; perform cage changing and/or cage cleaning as required; record animal health concerns per SOP and/or specified protocols.
- Maintain accurate records of animal health, breeding, and housing/isolator or support areas as required.
- Assist with restraint, handling and manipulation of various animal species as assigned.
- Strictly follow all procedures necessary to maintain animal housing areas or isolator environments, including room or facility personnel entry and personnel protective equipment use.
- Receive, inspect and house incoming animals.
- May be involved in strictly maintaining and following breeding and weaning procedures to ensure appropriate production levels.
- Assist with surgical preparation of animals and monitor anesthesia during surgical procedures
- Assist with surgical procedures as needed by attending veterinarian
- Assist with post-operative care of all research animals
- Operate equipment and use supplies according to safety guidelines
- Perform general housekeeping and adhere to safety procedures.
- Required to work on scheduled weekends and holidays.
- Strict attention to detail and follow-up skills are essential.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills are required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to perform in a team environment.
- High School Diploma
- Bachelors Degree in Veterinary Technology or Animal Science
- AALAS certification at the Asst. Lab Animal Technician (ALAT), Lab Animal Technician (LAT), or Lab Animal Technologist (LATg) level
- Position requires the employee to be American Association of Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS) certified at the Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician (ALAT) level or above; if not ALAT certified at the time of hire the employee must become ALAT certified within 12 months of being hire
- Animal husbandry experience with laboratory animals (rodents & rabbits), small animal (dogs/cats), and/or large animals (agricultural livestock) in a research facility (12 months prior experience is desirable)
- Experience working in an AAALAC accredited research institution/facility.
- Experience in maintaining detailed records