Business Development & Technology Transfer Officer | Job Code: 19-077
Torrance, US-CA 90502
FT 100 % for 40-hours per week (regular full-time benefits)
# of Openings:
Technology Transfer - 1034
Minimum education requirements:
Based on Qualifications & Experience
7/31/19 9:29 AM
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- BS degree in Biology, Biochemistry, Microbiology or a related life sciences field required
- PhD in a similar field of study desired
- Must understand biomedical terminology and have the ability to read legal documents quickly and with an eye for detail
- 3-4 years in an office of Technology Transfer setting preferred; 1-2 years minimum in a business development or licensing role
- Expertise in licensing contracts structure and components; experience in understanding current practices and negotiating business terms between a Technology Transfer Office and licensees or start-ups
- Understanding and awareness of standard business practices in licensing agreements between academia and business or start-ups
- Clear and precise understanding of the process of intellectual property development, including patents, copyrights and trademarks
- Clear understanding of biological processes in normal and disease states, including familiarity with scientific terminology
- Understanding of operational efficiencies in an office of Technology Transfer with an ability to lead change as needed and anticipate problems
- Understanding of the drug development and medical device and commercialization process from invention to development and commercialization
- Understanding of the components and ability to negotiate material transfer agreements, confidential disclosure agreements, inter-institutional agreements, and sponsored research agreements
- Must have effective interpersonal skills – ability to interact with variety of personality styles and diverse backgrounds
Description of Duties:
- Marketing of assets - Assist with commercialization outreach for LA BioMed’s IP assets by seeking, identifying and attending meetings with VC’s, angel investors and other interested parties. Help with the preparation of technology descriptions and provide feedback on content.
- IP cultivation - Increase the number of invention disclosures by proactively meeting with investigators to uncover new potential IP and following through to ensure new invention disclosures are presented
- Agreements and contracts - Execute option and license agreements, CDAs, MTAs and SRAs; provide business feedback and proposed commercial terms in line with LA BioMed’s historical practices.
- IP Prosecution – Assist with determining the commercial and patentability of new invention disclosures. In coordination with offsite counsel file provisional, continuation, divisionals; provide guidance to counsel to respond to office actions (meet with investigators and attorneys to discuss as needed). Organize bi-monthly patent committee meetings; send notes and action items and follow up with each stake-holder to ensure objectives for decision making are met.
- Process improvement – Ability to analyze and seek opportunities to improve the patent prosecution and deal making process; ability to anticipate business needs and ability to offer solutions.