Nutrition Assistant I | Job Code #18-087
Inglewood, US-CA 90303
FT 100 % for 40-hours per week (regular full-time benefits)
# of Openings:
SLAHP Main Office-3000
Minimum education requirements:
GED or high school diploma
1/15/19 3:04 PM
- Performs nutritional and breastfeeding risk assessments, including review of medical data of Program participants
- Certifies WIC Program applicants and participants according to prescribed regulations and guidelines
- Provides individual nutrition, breastfeeding, and health education to WIC Program participants, and counsels participants utilizing motivational interviewing (MI) and other participant centered education (PCE) techniques as appropriate.
- Provides breastfeeding support for common problems and concerns
- Facilitates group nutrition, breastfeeding, and health education sessions for WIC Program participants, and breastfeeding support groups, utilizing appropriate PCE techniques
- Refers WIC Program participants or parents/guardians as appropriate to the Special Nutrition Services Dietitian, Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, or community health and social service agencies, according to agency protocols
- One-year experience as LA BioMed WIC Clerk, Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, Information and Referral Assistant, Community Health Outreach Worker or equivalent. Relevant teaching and counseling experience, comprehensive health training may substitute for WIC experience.
- High School graduate, GED or equivalent. WNA certified or college coursework in maternal and child health/nutrition or related field a plus.
- Valid California driver's license
- Current California registration for personal transportation
- Proof of personal vehicle insurance
- Demonstrated group presentation and facilitation skills and counseling abilities, utilizing PCE and MI techniques, as appropriate
- Knowledge of basic principles of breastfeeding support and maternal and child health and nutrition
- Comprehensive knowledge of the Immunization (IZ) Program policies, procedures, and IZ database software
- Dietary assessment and nutrition/health risk evaluation skills