Staff Research Associate I Job Code: 19-072
Torrance, US-CA 90502
FT 100 % for 40-hours per week (regular full-time benefits)
# of Openings:
Minimum education requirements:
Based on Qualifications & Experience
7/26/19 8:17 AM
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology or 2+ years’ experience working in a laboratory environment, handling and manipulating biological samples, working with basic laboratory equipment.
- Two years of experience in material handling.
- Prefer 1 year experience in biological, chemical, and/or pharmaceutical repository operations.
- Working knowledge of a materials database.
- Good communication skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office products.
Description of Duties:
- Performs Bio-repository Management duties for Bio-specimen Management, with meticulous attention to details.
- Works independently to receive shipments of human biological samples, verify sample integrity and data accuracy, process (centrifuge, pipette/aliquot, and pool) samples, consolidate inventory, retrieve and distribute samples, ship specimen collection supplies to partners, and monitor laboratory supply inventory.
- Follows departmental work instructions, SOP’s, OSHA safety regulations and GLPs to perform assigned tasks. Duties include handling hazardous biological materials (BSL-2) as described above.
- Maintains a high level of organization to independently manage all aspects of complex service requests and thinks creatively to resolve challenges as encountered.
- Handling medical specimens at appropriate cryogenic temperatures throughout the specimen lifetime cycle while adhering to universal precautions with regard to biological specimens.
- Specimen inventory management to include transfer initiation from the production facility as well as receipt, storage, and distribution to/from the LA BioMed Translational Genomics and Population Sciences (TGPS) Biorepository.
- Performs quality control tasks associated with specimen management and cryogenic equipment.
- Monitors & Maintains cryogenic storage equipment and environmental monitoring system.
- Maintains demonstrated proficiency with all applicable Standard Operating Procedures.
- Assists with generating various reports and record keeping.