Supervisor - Biological Resources Center (BRC) | Job Code: 19-063:
Torrance, US-CA 90502
FT 100 % for 40-hours per week (regular full-time benefits)
# of Openings:
Biological Resources Center-9983
Minimum education requirements:
GED or high school diploma
Based on Qualifications & Experience
7/17/19 10:12 AM
Required Skills & Qualifications:
Minimum Job-Related Experience
- Five years’ experience working in a laboratory animal facility or veterinarian clinic.
- Experience as a Veterinarian Technician or health Technician.
- 2 years’ prior supervisory experience.
- Experience in animal anesthesia.
- Experience with laboratory and large species handling, dosing and anesthesia.
Minimum Education or Training Requirement
- High school graduation or GED.
- Certification through the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS) or Registered Veterinarian Technician (RVT) license.
- Knowledge of animal care standards.
- Ability to work as a member of a team.
- Ability to interact in an appropriate and professional manner with others.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain medical records. Detail oriented; demonstrated ability to work with a high degree of accuracy and ability to multi-task.
Physical and/or Mental Requirements
- This position requires the ability to bend, reach, push and pull while working with the animals.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
Description of Duties:
- Assist the Director in overseeing the daily operations of the animal care facility.
- Assist the Director in the supervision and training of technicians.
- Provide technical and problem solving assistance to staff.
- Supervise and schedule weekend, holiday and vacation coverage for the facility.
- Monitors health and wellbeing of animals;
- Inspect each animal reported with problems daily.
- Record pertinent findings on the Animal Daily Health sheets.
- Contacts veterinarian and provides follow-up care for health problems within the facility as directed.
- Performs yearly physical examinations
- Monitors procedures performed in research laboratories to assure conformance to approved protocols.
- Coordinates activities to ensure adequate pre and post-operative care.
- Collects pre-op forms and checks Progress Reports.
- Maintain daily and monthly surgical logs.
- Evaluate animal health and well-being.
- Surgical Facilities Coordinator.
- Supervise BRC staff in surgical setting.
- Coordinate large animal surgeries
- Maintain surgical equipment/monitors
- Assist with fluoroscopy
- Assist surgeons
- Monitor patients under anesthesia and post op recovery
- Anesthetize patients and prepare for surgery
- Maintain supplies for surgery/anesthesia
- Supervise maintenance and record keeping of GLP studies
- Maintain USDA, Good Laboratory Practices (GLP), controlled drug and other records
- Assists with the preparation of documents on day to day operation of the animal facility (i.e. USDA, AAALAC).
- Does monthly billing for fluoroscope usage